|From the Collection of the Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County|
It's hard to imagine what Eastern Ave. looked like when Charles Henry Jones walked it. After all, the East End was not annexed into the City of Cinncinnati until 1855. Up until then, this area was known as "Fulton," named after Robert Fulton "who is widely credited with developing the first commercially successful steamboat." Wikipedia
The life-blood of the community of Fulton was the boatbuilding industry. The community had an unusual geographical shape. It largely consisted of a one-mile strip of land bounded on one side by the Ohio River and the other by the formidable hillsides that now line Columbia Parkway. At the time of its annexation to the city, it became known politically as Ward 17.
The view in the picture above is probably early 20th Century. Eastern Avenue has cobblestones. Telephone and electrical lines are strung along poles. There is a set of rails for some kind of street railway, possibly horse-drawn. The narrow street pulling off to the left was Torrence Rd., the site of the rail station that was part of the Little Miami Railroad. Across from the train station is St. Rose Church. As Charles and his family lived on the riverbank behind the Church, he must have traveled these roads frequently.